TAXSIM Related Files at the NBER
- Internet Taxsim (v27) is a subset of the
the full TAXSIM program which calculates federal and state income tax
liabilities from typical survey data. You provide the data, the NBER
TAXSIM program returns the tax calculations from our server in seconds.
Federal law from 1960-2023 and state laws from 1977-2016 are available.
State laws from 2017-2023 are not coded, but an inflated 2016 law is used
as an estimate. taxsim27 offers an improved user interface and more
accurate calculation of the NIIT compared to taxsim9. The Stata interface
is largely backwards compatible with taxsim9.ado but avoid overloading any
- Internet Taxsim (v9) is a
still available, and the underlying program will receive updates on the
same schedule as taxsim27, however the user interface is fixed and the
additional variables used by taxsim27 will not be backported.
- Codes for creating Internet TAXSIM format
datafiles from commonly used surveys.
Documentation and Background
- PDF version of "An
Introduction to the TAXSIM Model", by Daniel Feenberg and Elisabeth
Coutts. From the Journal of Policy Analysis and Management Vol. 12
no. 1 (Winter, 1993).
- Statistics of Income Division (SOI) General
Description Booklets for the Tax Model Files, with sources and
descriptions for every variable in the disclosure proofed public release
- Concordance of fields in the SOI division public use files,
showing the locations of variables through the years:
- Table of State EITC rules
- Concordance of fields in the SOI internal
- Taxsim is in current use by a number of government agencies. The
published a description of its use in prepartion of the Consumer Expenditure Survey.
The Census Bureau sponsored an evaluation of several tax calculators,
Tables from TAXSIM
- Elasticity of the Income Tax
- Tables of representative households
state income tax liability and marginal rates
- Revenue share of marginal income, and Elasticity
of the Income Tax system
- Marginal Tax Rates by Factor Income
- Municipal Bond Subsidy
- US rates at constant real income levels.
- Weighted Average Marginal Tax Rates for Robert
- Auerbach and Feenberg on Automatic
- High Income Shares
- High Income Shares 1994 - 1996
- Tax rates by age.
Chart of state by year allowance of
charitable or mortgage interest
- Maximum State tax rates.
- Sales Tax Tables.
Add yourself to the TAXSIM e-mail list
1050 Mass Ave.
Cambridge MA, 02138